Thorpe Camp Visitor Centre, Woodhall Spa
The Centre was formerly part of No.1 Communal Site, RAF Woodhall Spa, and was built in 1940, with a planned life span of only 10 years! The site included the Officers and Sergeants Mess, Airmen’s Dining Halls and the NAAFI building, together with Ration Store, Latrines and Ablution Block. Only the Airmen’s Dining Halls, the NAAFI, Ablution Block and Ration Store are within the Centre’s boundary.
The Thorpe Camp Preservation Group established the Visitor Centre in 1988 to commemorate those Airmen who flew from the airfield in World War II. 97, 619, 617 (Dambusters) and 627 Squadrons were based at RAF Woodhall Spa.